[Python-ideas] Password masking for getpass.getpass

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 19:59:06 EST 2016

On 01/13/2016 05:47 PM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> What of the poor souls who, for whatever reason, can't use NoScript?
>
> What about those who are so frustrated with trying to get sites to work that
> they just Allow All On This Page? I've seen websites that rely on anything
> up to forty or fifty externally hosted scripts just to get basic
> functionality. (I stopped counting after a while and just kept
> clicking "Temporarily Allow...") You have external scripts calling out to
> external scripts from completely different domains, each more and more
> dodgy-looking than the last. And that's just the "legitimate" (for some
> definition of) scripts.

I seriously doubt there are any web pages that rely on 40 or 50 external
scripts for *basic* functionality.  But I have seen pages that load
dozens of external scripts for tracking, ad, and other purposes.  With
Ghostery I disable almost all of them and guess what, the pages load
faster and work just fine.  I think some companies must think, hey if
one analytics site is good, then 10 are better!  I've seen pages that
refused to load because some analytic script's hosting server was not
responding.  I highly recommend everyone run Ghostery and turn off
nearly all external scripts.  Doesn't usually affect the page's function
itself.  If anything it's educational to see how many external scripts
sites use these days. No wonder we have so many security issues.