me, my arm, my availability ...

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Wed Jan 13 19:30:36 EST 2016

On Thu, 14 Jan 2016 08:41 am, David H. Lipman wrote:

> From: "Laura Creighton" <lac at openend.se>
>

>> I fell recently.  Ought to be nothing, but a small chip of bone, either
>> an
>
> Due to the side-effects of the prescription drugs you were given, I
> suggest
> you not use a computer until you are no longer taking them.  ;-)

I don't get it. Are you implying that Laura's comments were drug-addled
nonsense? They make perfect sense to me, and seem to be grammatically
correct for informal English (apart from a missing comma), and quite
idiomatic too. And I'm not taking any drugs.

I know that there's a trope of affectionately mocking people on strong
pain-killers ("I want some of the drugs she's having!"), but it's normal to
wait until *after* they've actually demonstrated impairment. Otherwise you
risk having the response which I'm having right now:

    "I don't think it's Laura who is high on drugs, prescription
     or otherwise, but you!"

:-)

Seriously, sorry for being That Guy who asks you to analyse what I expect is
meant as a joke, but I have no idea where the humour is.

--
Steven