Which Python editor has this feature?

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Tue Jan 12 21:04:43 EST 2016

On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 12:27 pm, jfong at ms4.hinet.net wrote:

> wxjm... at gmail.com at 2016/1/月12 4:29:08PM wrote:
>> IDLE ?
>> I need less than 10 seconds to make it crash.
>
> Unwittingly or intentionally?
>
>> The interesting aspect is not only to show that it crashes,
>> the very interesting point is to explain why it is crashing.
>
> Can you tell us (in a separate subject title)? I am willing to learn every
> aspects of Python.

Pay no attention to wxjmfauth, he is our resident troll who is obsessed with
Python's Unicode implementation.

When he says "make it crash", he means "raise an exception", which is
absolutely trivial. We can all make Python raise an exception in a fraction
of a second:

1/0

will do it. Or if you prefer to stick to unicode:

u'£'.encode('ascii')

wxjmfauth's obsession started with an alpha release of Python 3.3 that had a
small performance decrease for some operations on non-ASCII characters
under some circumstances. He has taken this tiny decrease in performance as
proof of some grand conspiracy that the Python developers hate non-English
speaking Europeans (he never seems to care about Asians or other non-Latin
based characters, only French and other European ones) and that this small
performance decrease shows that Python can't do Unicode.

I think that is fair to say that he is what the English call "a nutter".

--
Steven