use Python and an outlook: protocol URL to bring up a specific email

eryk sun eryksun at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 14:12:40 EST 2016

On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 11:52 AM, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is that properly escaped to handle any arbitrary URL? I doubt it.

subprocess doesn't know how to quote a command line for the Windows
shell, which doesn't follow the rules used by subprocess.list2cmdline.
To make matters worse, one often has to follow both sets of rules or
even some arbitrary rules used by an executable.

> Do you actually need shell=True? I would strongly recommend using the
> form that I used, unless it can be proven that that doesn't work.

AFAIK, the "start" command has been built in to the shell since
cmd.exe originated on OS/2 in like 1987. It was enhanced when cmd.exe
was ported to Win32 for NT 3.1.