Which Python editor has this feature?

jfong at ms4.hinet.net jfong at ms4.hinet.net
Mon Jan 11 06:04:09 EST 2016

Chris Angelico at 2016/1/11  UTC+8 10:59:47AM wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 12:59 PM,  <jfong at ms4.hinet.net> wrote:
> > It lets you jump between the current cursor position and the line the upper level indentation start, something like the bracket matching in C editor. Because of Python use indentation as its code block mark, It might be helpful if we can jump between different level of it:-)
>
> I coded this up as a patch for SciTE/Scintilla at one point, but it
> didn't get accepted. It was used for a while at my work, but never
> really settled in as being useful. Python code tends not to be as big
> and complex as C code often is, so it's not as useful to have a
> feature like this.
>
> If you want it, I can probably hunt down the patch file somewhere.
>
> ChrisA

I am studying the PyUSB package now as the learning object of how to write a Python program in a "formal" way. In those modules, there are many comment inserted between codes to explain what it does. It's good to the user comprehension, but also easily makes a Class size expanded to over 100 lines. Also many Classes has the same named method such as __getitem__ etc. When searching a specific name I usually have to roll back the screen a few times to find out what Class I am looking at. That's really annoy.

But, just like you said, this feature may be not so useful to a Python programmer. I should try the editor I am using now to see if I can "patch" a such feature, just as you had did on SciTE before:-)

--Jach