subprocess check_output

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 04:54:43 EST 2016

On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 8:33 PM, me <self at example.org> wrote:
> On 2016-01-05, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Oh, and then you keep editing and save again? Nah, I've *never* done
>> that... Never!
>
> I'm quite surprised, buddy. You should definitely try.

I know, right! It's so exciting to suddenly discover that you have two
separate copies of a piece of code, and that one of them isn't where
you think it is... makes life so interesting!

Serious suggestion for people who run into weirdness: Sometimes it
helps to make a deliberate and obvious syntax error (misuse a keyword,
break the indentation, put a mass of symbols in someplace), just to
see that your code is getting parsed. If it doesn't trigger an error,
well, your deployment is failing somewhere. CSS gurus suggest, along
similar lines, changing the background color of something to red.
Saves ever so much fiddling around - instead of asking "why doesn't my
padding work in IE?", you ask the correct question of "why isn't my
CSS file being read?", upon which you discover that you were
referencing it from the wrong directory. True story.

ChrisA