[python] Re: GitHub's ³pull request² is proprietary lock-in

W. Trevor King wking at tremily.us
Sun Jan 3 04:42:48 EST 2016

On Sun, Jan 03, 2016 at 04:31:55AM -0500, Random832 wrote:
> But there is no command to create a "pull request", nowhere for such
> a thing to exist in the repository, etc.

There is this [1].

> Also if someone puts through a github pull request and then their
> patch is accepted, my understanding is that the pull request has to
> be "closed" through a github online interface and merely merging the
> patch through the git command line will not update the status on the
> pull request.

This is incorrect.  GitHub will automatically mark PRs as “Merged”
when their tip commit lands in the target branch.  I haven't looked up
docs for when this landed (if it was even announced), but next to
GitHub's “Merge pull request” button there's currently an “or view
command line instructions” link which sketches out some command-line
Git to accomplish the same thing.

But I agree that it's nice to keep the discussion around pull requests
somewhere portable.

Cheers,
Trevor

[1]: http://git-scm.com/docs/git-request-pull