We will be moving to GitHub

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Sat Jan 2 07:58:17 EST 2016

On 2016-01-02 17:43, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> Oh, and talking about DVCS:
>
> https://bitquabit.com/post/unorthodocs-abandon-your-dvcs-and-return-to-sanity/

The arguments there are pretty weak.

Not working offline?  I use that *ALL* *THE* *TIME*.  Maybe the
author lives some place where the main internet connection doesn't go
down for a week because some dim bulb at AT&T disconnected the wrong
cable and failed to log the fact. Maybe the author is willing to shell
out highway-robbery prices for wifi on an airplane just to access repo
history.  Maybe the author has an unlimited data plan and good
coverage.  But for me, disconnected usage (along with the much
easier/smarter branching & merging) is one of the indispensable
features.  Just because the author doesn't use a feature, doesn't
mean it's useful.

Consider the author's case for storing large binary blobs in a VCS
and then not wanting to check out the entire repo.  However, to
use/tweak the logic & phrasing of the article, "Let me tell you
something. Of all the time I have ever used DVCSes, over the last 15
years if we count dropping large binary files in a shared folder and
eight or so if you don’t, I have wanted to store large binary files
in the repository a grand total of maybe about zero times. And this
is merely going down over time as CPU, memory, and storage capacity
ever increases. If you work as a CGI animator/artist, or produce
audio, or don't know what you're doing because you're storing
generated output, then okay, sure, this is a huge feature for you.
But for the rest of us, I am going to assert that this is not the use
case you need to optimize for when choosing a VCS."

So while I don't really have dog in the fight of
git-vs-hg-vs-bzr-vs-fossil or the
GitHub-vs-Bitbucket-vs-GitLab-vs-privately-hosted fight, I find the
logic of that article as strained as when I first read it.

-tkc