We will be moving to GitHub

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sat Jan 2 01:43:23 EST 2016

On Sat, 2 Jan 2016 07:09 am, Chris Angelico wrote:

> Yes, git is a capable tool. But so is Mercurial, and the arguments
> weren't primarily based on differences in functionality (which are
> pretty minor). It's mainly about the network effect.

You call it the network effect. I call it monoculture.

This decision is socially irresponsible. For all the cheap talk about
diversity, the Python core-devs are now about to move to (and probably give
money to) a company with a well-deserved reputation of being hostile to
women. Even if you believe that Github has reformed (and I see no credible
evidence that they have, apart from Github's own self-serving statements
that they have), diversity doesn't just apply to human individuals, it also
applies to technologies. The fact that Github is so popular should count
*against* it, not in favour.

There are times where everybody should do the same thing -- choosing whether
to drive on the left or the right side of the road, for example. And there
are times where following the crowd like lemmings is actively harmful, no
matter how convenient it seems in the short-run.

http://nedbatchelder.com/blog/201405/github_monoculture.html

Oh, and talking about DVCS:

https://bitquabit.com/post/unorthodocs-abandon-your-dvcs-and-return-to-sanity/

--