[Off-topic] Requests author discusses MentalHealthError exception

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Mon Feb 29 12:54:31 EST 2016

On Monday, February 29, 2016 at 11:04:20 PM UTC+5:30, Ben Finney wrote:
> Rustom Mody writes:

> > > Indeed. If a revelation is unconnected to reality, it's misleading to
> > > say that one has "learned" it.
> >
> > And who is the last arbiter on that 'reality'?
>
> A nice academic question. Not appropriate when we're discussing a real
> person's psychotic episodes. Neither you nor I are experts in whether an
> experience is psychosis, and the person already has an expert diagnosis.
>
> So please don't de-rail into the weeds of second-guessing an expert in
> mental health. Unless you know the person's mental health better than
> their doctor (and you do not), don't second-guess the diagnosis they
> received.

No need to second guess

Article's last line:

Avoid falling in love with hyper-intelligent pan-dimensional beings.

IOW Larry makes an important point

The fact that he claims to be better now than in that period is more
significant than the medical diagnoses

It neglects the possibility that these are not the only two possibilities