[Off-topic] Requests author discusses MentalHealthError exception

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Mon Feb 29 11:56:08 EST 2016

Ian Kelly <ian.g.kelly at gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 9:21 AM, Larry Martell <larry.martell at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I found this to be a very sad story. Sure, he had some issues, but I
> > don't think they needed to drug him, and take all that he had
> > learned away from him and turn him back into what he was before.
>
> "All that he had learned" meaning his delusions and psychoses?

Indeed. If a revelation is unconnected to reality, it's misleading to
say that one has “learned” it.

Also, I don't see how anyone “took away” those experiences. He wrote an
article describing them and clearly still retains those experiences as
memories to recall as he wishes.

When someone describes the ill effects their mental illness produced, I
find it rather condescending for an observer to express regret that
the person no longer experiences those ill effects.

--
 \           “We have clumsy, sputtering, inefficient brains…. It is a |
  `\     *struggle* to be rational and objective, and failures are not |