General computer language, syntax question.

jonas.thornvall at gmail.com jonas.thornvall at gmail.com
Mon Feb 29 08:45:18 EST 2016

I have a problem programming uniform networks, "x nodes with y links" that turn out to be really hairy to solve for me and i feel i really lack the programming features

"Actually i program in javascript" but the problem seem general for all programming languages including Pyhton.

For a beautiful solution it would require "If in list/array return boolean" "If not in list/array return boolean".

But there is no such feature Python nor Javascript, so instead i set boolean value "inlist" to false and loop thru, to see if it is already in list. If not it is added to list.

So if the current node i generate links for is x and i try to generate a link to  node z, and z's links exhausted i will add it to exhausted list.

And if there is node-x exhausted entries in list, well then script should break because it will lock into a cycle. The cyclic lockup is due to only a subset of the networks on the form (links*deep)+1=nodes is possible.

So what i need is to know howto write "if list/array ***empty*** do {something}"

I sure know howto check if an array have 1 element 2,3,4 but how do you check for empty.

I think it is crazy that you can not do general comparissons of the type
If in list/array
If not in list/array

But it is even more crazy that you can not check if list/array is empty, that is just madness.