Everything good about Python except GUI IDE?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Feb 29 03:20:44 EST 2016

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 6:20 PM, Rustom Mody <rustompmody at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday, February 29, 2016 at 11:48:25 AM UTC+5:30, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
>> Gordon Levi :
>>
>> > Nobody likes filling in forms but how do you suggest converting a form
>> > based app into something loveable.
>>
>> Straight HTML does forms just fine without CSS or JavaScript, yet few
>> can resist.
>
> Abjure JS/CSS is a virtue? Why?
> In any case with or without its still a form not plain (printf/scanf) text.
> So what exactly are we talking of?

Abjuring JS may be a virtue (or at least, making it a non-critical
part of your web site), but CSS is important to document structure and
layout. The combination of HTML and CSS provides a logical structure
with separate styling, which IMO is an excellent thing. It's possible
to accomplish the same goal in other ways (for instance, Markdown
source code for the structure and HTML for the layout), but CSS
provides enough flexibility to do this just fine on its own.

Incidentally, HTML+CSS is another excellent example of code being used
to create a visual effect. While there *are* WYSIWYG HTML editors, I'm
not familiar with any WYISWYG HTML+CSS editors, and I much more often
see a fast-turnaround code editing system such as codepen.io - you
change the HTML in one box, or the CSS in another, and the result down
below changes in real-time. It wouldn't be too hard to create
something like this for a GUI, and it'd remove some of that feeling of
non-interactivity while still retaining all the benefits of code above
drag-and-drop.

ChrisA