Everything good about Python except GUI IDE?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 20:13:24 EST 2016

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 12:05 PM, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
>> Who is the boss here? The user of the tool, or the tool?
>
> We are unfortunately a slave to decisions made long in the past, to
> record some metadata – line endings, text encoding – as in-band content
> rather than out-of-band pure metadata. The VCS must, IMO, be at least
> aware that the content has changed when those in-band data change.

Not sure what you mean here. It's metadata that lets you properly
interpret the content; by definition, that has to be out of band
information with in-band consequences. It's like using a shebang to
interpret an executable file - you can't just casually change the
first line from "#!/usr/bin/python2" to "#!/usr/bin/python3" and deem
that your code has now been ported to Py3.

ChrisA