Everything good about Python except GUI IDE?

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 09:03:09 EST 2016

On Sunday, February 28, 2016 at 7:22:08 PM UTC+5:30, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
> Rustom Mody :
>
> > whereas in fact every significant GUI embeds text (possibly recursively)
> >
> > eg TI inside GUI -- think of text inside gimp
> > GUI inside TI -- think of Word embedding other doc types including pictures
> > Which can be recursive -- WOrd embeds a picture embeds text
>
> Sigh, still nobody has mentioned an exemplary GUI application.
>
> An anecdote: Some weeks back my son and I were struggling to get the
> right kind of graph out of Excel. After four hours of Google, Youtube,
> trial and error, we gave up, took out a pad of millimeter paper and some
> colored pencils. The whole job took my son an hour and the end result
> looked great. He snapped a picture and sent it to the teacher by email.

Point being??
If I tried to speak Finnish I'd look a fool.
Makes me a fool?

Best I can see you dont know excel [Nor do I]
Lets guess that you've spent 10 hours struggling with excel
Now compare with how much with programming and 'classical' CS
Would a couple of thousand hours be an overestimate?
Is the inherent difficulty of excel to programming consistent with that ratio?

> A 2nd anecdote. I occasionally need to make technical presentations to
> an audience. Do I use PowerPoint or Impress? No, I use emacs, M-x
> picture-mode and raw HTML (without styles). I get to concentrate on
> producing effective communication, and nobody has complained about the
> lack of imagery or funny animation.

Yeah so do I
emacs → org mode → export html

Works but not ideal