Everything good about Python except GUI IDE?

Gordon Levi gordon at address.invalid
Sun Feb 28 00:49:59 EST 2016

wrong.address.1 at gmail.com wrote:

>On Saturday, 27 February 2016 18:08:36 UTC+2, Dietmar Schwertberger  wrote:
>> On 27.02.2016 12:18, wrong.address.1 at gmail.com wrote:
>> > Isn't there any good GUI IDE like Visual Basic? I hope there are some less well known GUI IDEs which I did not come across. Thanks.
>>
>> As of today, there's no Python GUI builder comparable to VB 6.
>>

>Thanks for stating this clearly. Everyone here has been trying to show me various ways to do the kind of things I will want to, but nobody clearly admits the limitations I will have to accept if I start with Python.
>
>I am starting to wonder if VB.net would be a better solution for the time being. I have learnt enough VB.net to manage my work but it is bloated and Microsoft dependent.

When I moved from VB "Classic" to new a language I chose Java. The
Netbeans IDE includes a drag and drop WYSIWYG form designer similar
to, but slightly better than, VB6
<https://netbeans.org/features/java-on-client/swing.html>. Alas, thick
desktop applications are rapidly becoming out of date.

When I chose Java it was the most popular language for commercial
programming apart from .NET. I was subsequently tempted to move to
Python because I have been programming for the Raspberry Pi and Python
is the language of choice for the Pi. In addition I find Python more
readable than Java. I have been deterred because, like VB, there are
two distinct flavours and, unlike VB, there is no IDE with a form
designer.