"from module import data; print(data)" vs "import module; print(module.data)"

Ian Kelly ian.g.kelly at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 22:56:18 EST 2016

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 5:40 PM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
> If you take "Special cases are not special enough" seriously, you will not
> use `import os.path` since os is not a package:
>
> py> os.__package__
> ''
>
> and os.path is not part of os, it's just a publicly exposed attribute which
> merely happens to be a module. Being a module doesn't make it special, it's
> just another name in the os namespace. I trust that you wouldn't insist on
> writing:
>
> import os.listdir
>
> (especially since that doesn't work). Neither should you insist on writing
> `import os.path`, since path is documented as a public part of the os
> module. It has done so since at least Python 1.5.

I disagree. The fact that os is not a package is an implementation
detail. I for one wasn't even aware of it prior to reading your post.

The name of the concurrent.futures module is "concurrent.futures". If
you want to use it, you import concurrent.futures, not concurrent.

Likewise, the name of the os.path module is "os.path". If you want to
use it, you import os.path, not os.

The fact that concurrent and os are two different types of things is irrelevant.

Besides, packages *are* modules. To take another example, collections
is a package (I checked), and collections.abc is a module. But
collections also contains things that aren't modules. If you want to
use collections.abc, you have to import it, but at the same time you
don't import collections.Counter. This demonstrates that the analog
you suggest between os.path and os.listdir is flawed.