[Python-ideas] How the heck does async/await work in Python 3.5

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Wed Feb 24 11:13:40 EST 2016

Ian Kelly <ian.g.kelly at gmail.com>:

> On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 8:23 AM, Marko Rauhamaa <marko at pacujo.net> wrote:
>> Tem Pl <rtempl31 at gmail.com>:
>>> Is there something wrong with this implementation?
>>
>> It's a "fork bomb".
>
> Isn't that the point of the benchmark?

I don't quite see the point of the program as it doesn't resemble
anything I'd ever have an urge to write.

As for benchmarks, Python is not supposed to be fast nor small. Python
is actually quite slow and the objects have a large footprint. However,
Python's strength is in its powerful expressivity.

Still, it may be that coroutines end up being especially slow; that's
how they played out in my head when I first was imagining what all those
nested generators must be doing to produce their magic. Also, I'm afraid
the expressivity part suffers a blow with the whole coroutine paradigm
-- without having the otherworldly appeal of Scheme's continuations.

Marko