Could not find suitable distribution for Requirement.parse('urllib2')

jdege at jdege.us jdege at jdege.us
Wed Feb 24 09:02:07 EST 2016

I've been running a simple python program on my Linux Mint 13 box for some years that depends upon https://github.com/ryazwinski/pythings.

I'm currently moving to a new Linux Mint 17 box, and I'm trying to move the program. I'm having a problem with installing python.py.

The package comes with a setup.py:

    from setuptools import setup
    setup(
        name='pythings',
        py_modules=['pythings'],
        version='0.1',
        description='Python Library for interfacing with Withings API',
        install_requires=['simplejson', 'urllib2', 'hashlib'],
    )

When I run the install (sudo python setup.py install) I get an error:

    Could not find suitable distribution for Requirement.parse('urllib2')

Any ideas on how I should proceed? Is there some repository that contains urllib2 that needs to be added to the setuptools configuration?  Is there some new library that has supplanted urllib2?

Help would be appreciated.