nosepipe error

Dan Stromberg drsalists at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 13:11:43 EST 2016

On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 9:43 AM, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 4:36 AM, Dan Stromberg <drsalists at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Message: Unhandled exception in thread started by
>> sys.excepthook is missing
>> lost sys.stderr
>>
>> That 1433299041 looks like ASCII:
>> '0x556e6861'
>> 'Unha'
>>
>> ...but I'm not sure where to go with that from there.
>
> My eye sees those characters as being the beginning of "Unhandled
> exception in thread". You could be dealing with multiple levels of
> cascading exceptions.

Agreed - at least "Unhandled exception".

I'm seeing, in the nosepipe code:
        # we use stdout for IPC, so block all other output
        self._stream = sys.__stdout__

I'm not sure using stdout/stdin for IPC is a great thing; a lot of
tests write to stdout or stderr, whether intentionally or
unintentionally.

I'm attempting to replace the use of stdout/stdin with os.pipe(), but
so far I'm not having much luck.  I get three write()'s, and then a
hang.  So far, I'm ignoring the fact that os.read() and os.write()
might split or aggregate chunks over a socket, since this is a
socketpair communicating on the same machine.