Considering migrating to Python from Visual Basic 6 for engineering applications

Random832 random832 at fastmail.com
Mon Feb 22 09:49:38 EST 2016

On Mon, Feb 22, 2016, at 05:46, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> Jussi, I think you have an inflated expectation of what was available in
> 1976. Command line? What's that? Programs ran in batch mode,
> and 'interactive' meant that you could easily slip out one punched card,
> replace it with a different one, and run the program again.

User experience was hardly uniform across different systems in that era.
The book "Hackers", for example, describes an interactive computer that
was used at MIT in *1959*. More relevantly to the lineage of the systems
we use today, PDP-7 Unix was first developed in 1969 - and PDP-11 6th
Edition Unix, very close to a recognizable modern system, was released
in 1975.