asyncio - run coroutine in the background

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 03:52:15 EST 2016

On Sat, Feb 20, 2016 at 7:37 PM, Paul Rubin <no.email at nospam.invalid> wrote:
> getaddrinfo is a notorious pain but I think it's just a library issue;
> an async version should be possible in principle.  How does Twisted
> handle it?  Does it have a version?

In a (non-Python) program of mine, I got annoyed by synchronous name
lookups, so I hacked around it: instead of using the regular library
functions, I just do a DNS lookup directly (which can then be
event-based - send a UDP packet, get notified when a UDP packet
arrives). Downside: Ignores /etc/nsswitch.conf and /etc/hosts, and
goes straight to the name server. Upside: Is able to do its own
caching, since the DNS library gives me the TTLs, but
gethostbyname/getaddrinfo won't.

ChrisA