Considering migrating to Python from Visual Basic 6 for engineering applications

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Fri Feb 19 13:03:34 EST 2016

On 2016-02-19, BartC <bc at freeuk.com> wrote:

>> IOW, you're expected to do things correctly
>
> You mean pedantically.

:)

> In real life, names generally are not case sensitive. I can call
> myself bart or Bart or BART or any of the remaining 13 combinations,
> without anyone getting confused (but they might be puzzled as to why
> I'd choose to spell it bArT).

You probably answer to half-a-dozen others things as well.  Such
natural-language concepts just don't work in code.

> And in speech there is no distinction between case (so anyone using
> voice-to-text is going to have trouble with writing code).

That's a good point.

> Even in computing, many kinds of names are case-insensitive, emails and
> website names for example. I think even MS would struggle to register
> all the 32768 upper and lower case combinations of www dot microsoft dot
> com. It becomes nonsensical.

True.

>> [OK, I may be a bit touchy on this subject from dealing with code
>> written by people used to working on Windows where they assume that
>> file names are case insensitive, so therefore seem to feel the need to
>> spice up life by using a variety of spellings for the same damned
>> file.]
>
> But they're all the same file?

Yes.  Sometimes three or four different spellings scattered over
multiple domains (Makefile, C source (e.g. #include directives), and
the filesystem).

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I'd like some JUNK
                                  at               FOOD ... and then I want to