Considering migrating to Python from Visual Basic 6 for engineering applications

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Fri Feb 19 10:59:30 EST 2016

On 2016-02-19, BartC <bc at freeuk.com> wrote:
> On 17/02/2016 19:49, wrong.address.1 at gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Could someone kindly tell me advantages and disadvantages of Python?
>
> Something I don't think anyone has mentioned is that Python is
> case-sensitive.

That's an _advantage_ not a disadvantage.

Anybody who writes code that depends on the assumption that FOOBAR
foobar and FooBar are identical deserves to have his keyboard explode
under his fingertips.

> So keywords, identifiers, library functions and so on have to be
> written just right.

IOW, you're expected to do things correctly rather that have the
compiler try to guess the intent of your inept typing.

[OK, I may be a bit touchy on this subject from dealing with code
written by people used to working on Windows where they assume that
file names are case insensitive, so therefore seem to feel the need to
spice up life by using a variety of spellings for the same damned
file.]

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I would like to
                                  at               urinate in an OVULAR,