Guido on python3 for beginners

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 22:39:34 EST 2016

On Friday, February 19, 2016 at 6:48:12 AM UTC+5:30, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> But apart from that, I think that "teaching" versus "doing" language is a
> false dichotomy. Teaching languages should have a shallow learning curve
> (easy to get started and learn the language, easy discoverability).
> Production languages should have deep functionality and power. Those two
> are not *necessarily* opposed[1]. Good languages should have both: a
> shallow learning curve leading to deep functionality.
>
> [1] Except in the trivial sense that the more you have to learn, the longer
> it will take.

Consider as hypothesis
L1: Needs 4 weeks to master
L2: Needs 4 years to manage (if you want to make it less hypothetical think C++)

Which would be more satisfying to a student?
[Not a hypothetical question: Some people like to go mountaineering/bungee-jumping etc
and breaks their necks.
Likewise Ive seen students who were so C++-happy they failed other courses!

I'd hazard you have forgotten what it feels like to be a student by some decades :-)