Guido on python3 for beginners

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 22:32:44 EST 2016

On Thursday, February 18, 2016 at 9:22:10 PM UTC+5:30, Random832 wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 18, 2016, at 07:25, Rustom Mody wrote:
> > My beef is somewhat different: viz that post 70s (Pascal) and 80s
> > (scheme)
> > programming pedagogy has deteriorated with general purpose languages
> > replacing
> > 'teaching-purpose language' for teaching.
>
> The flaw in this idea is right there in your post. Both languages you
> named are strongly tied to a single paradigm (procedural for Pascal, and
> functional for Scheme) which don't match the paradigm that real-world
> work is done in.

Factually incorrect.
Scheme is as multi-paradigm as you can get -- SICP spends considerable time
building OO systems, machine architectures etc
Culturally is another matter -- scheme tends to draw FP aficionados as python
seems to draw OO ones.  The languages do not mandate this

> Is there a new "teaching-purpose language"?

No And that's the deterioration in the programming edu-world