Considering migrating to Python from Visual Basic 6 for engineering applications

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Thu Feb 18 14:18:00 EST 2016

On 2016-02-18 09:58, wrong.address.1 at gmail.com wrote:
> How long can I depend on VB?

Are you talking the VB6-and-before, or VB.Net?  Given that MS dropped
support for the VB6 line a decade ago (2005-2008 depending on whether
you had extended support) with little to no help in transitioning to
VB.Net which (pejoratively called "Visual Fred" because it's so
different), I wouldn't want to depend on it at all.  Especially since
VB.Net is so radically different from VB6.  As it seems you've found.

> I don't really mind learning one more language if there is
> sufficient utility of it. Besides, I hear that Python is relatively
> easy to learn compared to C++ or Java.

I find that Python is much more readable than the C-flavored
languages.  Also, while there are language gotchas in all of them,
Python's make a lot more sense to me compared to those in the
C-flavored languages.

> I have some smaller VB programs (single form, little math) for my
> own use. I could convert those first and get a feel of how it is
> going to be with larger programs with thousands of lines.

Excellent plan.

-tkc