Guido on python3 for beginners

INADA Naoki songofacandy at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 03:00:32 EST 2016

In Python 3, I don't required to teach followings to newbies.

1. Don't do `class Foo:`, do `class Foo(object):`.
2. Don't do `isinstance(x, int)`, do `isinstance(x, (int, long))`.
3. Don't return non-ASCII string from `__repr__`, otherwise UnicodeError
   happens in logging and you will lost your important log.
4. Use %r instead of %s in logging to avoid UnicodeError when __str__
returns non ASCII strings.

I think there are many pitfalls fixed in Python 3 other than above.
Python 3 is far easier to teach and review code than Python 2.

INADA Naoki  <songofacandy at gmail.com>