Considering migrating to Python from Visual Basic 6 for engineering applications

Ray Cote rgacote at appropriatesolutions.com
Wed Feb 17 16:13:52 EST 2016

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 3:54 PM, Rob Gaddi <
rgaddi at highlandtechnology.invalid> wrote:

> > It seems Python is used more for web based applications. Is it equally
> fine for creating stand-alone *.exe's? Can the same code be compiled to run
> on Linux or Android or web-based?
>
> Standalone EXEs are hit and miss.  I've had best luck deploying just as
> Python scripts to machines with an expectation that the environment is
> already configured (i.e. Python already installed).
>
> You don't compile, you interpret.  So long as you've got the
> interpreter on the target platform you're set.  The EXE tools out there
> do so by bundling your plain-text source up with the interpreter
> environment.
>
> Packaging/distribution remains one of the real pain points in Python.

Python is used for much more then web based applications.
The latest versions of pyInstaller (http://www.pyinstaller.org) are
incredibly good at generating single-file binaries for both Windows and
Linux.
We’re using pyInstaller to distribute applications based on some fairly
complex frameworks—including wxPython (http://www.wxpython.org)
which is one option for building GUI applications.

—Ray

--
Raymond Cote, President
voice: +1.603.924.6079 email: rgacote at AppropriateSolutions.com skype: