Multiple Assignment a = b = c

srinivas devaki mr.eightnoteight at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 11:00:21 EST 2016

On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 6:35 PM, Sven R. Kunze <srkunze at mail.de> wrote:

> First, the rhs is evaluated.
> Second, the lhs is evaluated from left to right.
Great, I will remember these two lines :)

On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 8:46 PM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
> _temp = c
> a = _temp
> b = _temp
> del _temp
>

> except the name "_temp" isn't actually used.

So it is like first right most expression is evaluated and then lhs is
evaluated from left to right.

> py> from dis import dis
> py> code = compile("a = L[a] = x", "", "exec")
> py> dis(code)
>   1           0 LOAD_NAME                0 (x)
>               3 DUP_TOP
>               4 STORE_NAME               1 (a)
>               7 LOAD_NAME                2 (L)
>              10 LOAD_NAME                1 (a)
>              13 STORE_SUBSCR
>              14 LOAD_CONST               0 (None)
>              17 RETURN_VALUE
>

> Translated to English:
>
> - evaluate the expression `x` and push the result onto the stack;
>
> - duplicate the top value on the stack;
>
> - pop the top value off the stack and assign to name `a`;
>
> - evaluate the name `L`, and push the result onto the stack;
>
> - evaluate the name `a`, and push the result onto the stack;
>
> - call setattr with the top three items from the stack.

thank-you so much, for explaining how to find the underlying details.

>> SO isn't it counter intuitive from all other python operations.
>> like how we teach on how python performs a swap operation???
>
> No. Let's look at the equivalent swap:
>
> In all cases, the same rule applies:
>
> - evaluate the right hand side from left-most to right-most, pushing the
> values onto the stack;
>
> - perform assignments on the left hand side, from left-most to right-most.

uhh, i related it with swap because I was thinking variables are
binded, like first of all for all lhs assignments get their references
or names and then put the value of rhs in them.
as `a` is a name, so the rhs reference is copied to the a
`roots[a]` is a reference to an object, so it is initialized with the
reference of rhs.

anyway I got it, and all my further doubts are cleared from that
compiled code. I tried some other examples and understood how it
works.

thanks a lot.

--
Regards