Installation error, compiling from source on Oracle Linux

John D. Gwinner john at gwinner.org
Mon Feb 15 23:26:56 EST 2016

I'm installing an app that requires Carbon and some other Python 2.7 features.

The version of Oracle Linux we're using comes with 2.6.

I've read that it is not a good idea to directly update the O/S as it "may break things" so I'm doing make altinstall.

I've downloaded Python-2.7.11
Downloaded zlib-1.2.8
Done
./configure --prefix=/root/Python-2.7.8 --with-libs=/usr/local/lib --disable-ipv6

However, I get an error while compiling.

make altinstall
gcc -pthread -c -fno-strict-aliasing -g -O2 -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes  -I. -IInclude -I./Include   -DPy_BUILD_CORE -o Modules/python.o ./Modules/python.c
In file included from Include/Python.h:58,
                 from ./Modules/python.c:3:
Include/pyport.h:256:13: error: #error "This platform's pyconfig.h needs to define PY_FORMAT_LONG_LONG"
make: *** [Modules/python.o] Error 1

I CAN compile without zlib, but then pip gives an error.

python2.7 get-pip.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "get-pip.py", line 19017, in <module>
    main()
  File "get-pip.py", line 194, in main
    bootstrap(tmpdir=tmpdir)
  File "get-pip.py", line 82, in bootstrap
    import pip
zipimport.ZipImportError: can't decompress data; zlib not available

I'd use findRPM but that seems to be 2.7.8, not 2.7.11, and it seems reasonable, if I'm building this, to build the most recent version.

Any ideas? I have web searched this; I found a bug that was closed in 2014, and I just got all new source *right now*.

I'm doing a very vanilla install on Oracle Linux Server release 6.7

Thank you,

                    == John ==