Changing sound volume

Rick Johnson rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 22:56:33 EST 2016

On Monday, February 15, 2016 at 4:58:04 AM UTC-6, izik43 wrote:
> i had had to play some wav files and the volume was very
> poor. i used "audacity" and used amplify effect to change
> the basic amplitude.

Yes, you can achieve a more powerful punch that way, but
it's not the same as what the OP needs. Heck, with that
method, he just might blow-out his cheap monitor speakers!

;-)

Besides, editing an audio file is not something you should
do without practice. If you're not careful, you can destroy
the sound quality by "clipping-off" the extreme tips of the
waveform. Sure, distortion can sometimes add a desirable
effect, but too much of a good thing, well, you know...

In my early days as an "amateur sound guy", i destroyed some
valuable live recordings due to my ignorance of clipping.
Yeah, i didn't realize i was editing the *ACTUAL FILE*, and
not a copy of it! Had to learn the hard way.

:-'(

When you're an audiophile, those kinds of screw-ups are
devastating. Magical musical moments are a rarity.