Syntax error (The Python Book) Linux User and Developer Bookazine

Geoff Munn geoff.munn at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 09:56:12 EST 2016

On Sunday, 14 February 2016 13:39:52 UTC, Geoff Munn  wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Noob at the Python thing so here goes,
>
> I have copied a program to demonstrate control structures in Python but get a syntax error at line 31, isint = False. I'm using Python 2.7.6 and Linux Mint based around ubuntu14.04.1. I have pasted all the code below,
>

> #!/usr/bin/env python2
>
> '''
> We are going to write a program that will ask for the user to input an arbitary
> number of integers, store them in a collection, and then demonstrate how
> the collection would be used with various control structures
> '''
>
> import sys  # Used for the sys.exit function
>
> target_int=raw_input("How many integers?")
>
> '''
> By now the variable target_int contains a string representation of
> whatever the user typed. We nee to try and convert that to an integer but
> be ready to deal with the error if it's not. Otherwise the program will crash
> '''
>
> try:
>     target_int=int(target_int)
> except ValueError:
>     sys.exit("You must enter an integer")
>
> ints=list()  # list to store the integers
>
> count = 0  # Track how many integers have been inputted
>
> # Keep asking for a number until we have reached the required number
> while count < target_int:
>     new_int=raw_input("Please enter integer {0}:".format(count +1)
>     isint = False
>     try:
>         new_int=int(new_int)  # If the above succeeds then isint will
>         #be set to true: isint = True
>
>     except:
>         print("You must enter an integer")
>
>     '''
>     Only carry on if we have an integer. If not we will loop again.
>     The == below is a comparision operator, a single = is an asignment operator
>     '''
>     if isnit==True:
>         ints.append(new_int)  # Adds the integer to the collection
>         count += 1  # Count is incremented by 1
> # The for loop
>     print ("Using a for loop")
>     for values in ints:
>         print (str(value))
> # The while loop
>     print ("Using a while loop")
>     total=len(ints)  # We already have the total from above but using len we can determine from the ints list.
>     count = 0
>     while count < total:
>         print (str(ints[count]))
>         count += 1

Thanks Peter and Chris, yes missed the parentheses by taking the error as being in line 31, DOH but a lesson learned. I have checked and checked the code I entered against the provided code and had to make some more changes to at least go through the first while loop but have given up on the rest of it. Given your comments do you think its worth persevering with this book or is there a better 'entry' into Python programming?