fetchall is taking much longer time while getting data from Sybase module in Python

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Mon Feb 15 04:25:46 EST 2016

reetesh nigam wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am retrieving data from Sybase database using Sybase module of Python.
> My query is not taking time however fecthall is taking longer time.
>
> Below is the test script :
>
> def run_query(db,query): ## Run query and resturn record result
>         t1 = datetime.now()
>         cursorObj = db.cursor()
>         t2 = datetime.now()
>         cursorObj.execute(query)
>         t3 = datetime.now()
>         import pdb
>         pdb.set_trace()
>         rowset = cursorObj.fetchall()
>         t4 = datetime.now()
>         cursorObj.close()
>         print "Time taken to make cursor --%s"%(t2-t1)
>         print "Time taken to execute query --%s"%(t3-t2)
>         print "Time taken for fetchall--%s"%(t4-t3)
>         return rowset
>
> Output:
> Time taken to make cursor --0:00:00.000037
> Time taken to execute query --0:00:00.379443
> Time taken for fetchall--0:00:14.739064

fetchall() probably has to transfer a lot of rows. If you want to process
them one at a time you can turn run_query into a generator

def run_query(db, query):
   while True:
       row = cursor.fetchone()
       if row is None: break
       yield row

A complete implementation that guarantees that the cursor is closed might
look like this (untested):

@contextlib.contextmanager
def run_query(db, query):
    cursor = db.cursor()
    try:
        cursor.execute(query)
        yield iter(cursor.fetchone, None)
    finally:
        cursor.close()

# use it
with run_query(db, query) as rows:
    for row in rows:
        print row

This is likely to *increase* the overall time taken, but should drastically
reduce the time you have to wait for the first record to be printed, i. e.
the latency.