(unknown)

Oscar Benjamin oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 11:48:49 EST 2016

On 12 February 2016 at 21:39, Mark Lawrence <breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On 12/02/2016 20:16, Manas Soni wrote:
>>

>> I have downloaded python and when I click on it, it asks me to repair
>> which I do, it then says successful however when I click on it again it
>> won’t let me on it
>> Sent from Mail for Windows 10
>>

> Please search the archives as this has been asked and answered repeatedly
> over the last few months.

I've seen the "repair" question asked many times but I don't actually
recall seeing a solution to this particular problem. What causes it
and how do you solve it? Or can someone point to a thread about this
that actually contains the solution rather than the many that look
like this one did before I added this post? Does the error happen when
running the installer or when trying to launch IDLE or something after
install?

There are a lot of questions like this about installing Python 3.5 on
Windows and AFAICT they come under the following categories (have I
missed anything?):

1) XP users - I think the 3.5.1 installer gives a proper error message
for this now.
2) ms-api-xxxxx.dll - update C runtime from MS - the installer should
probably give a proper error message for this too
3) error code 0x8023482348 (or some hex string) - some Windows problem
with temporary files.
4) New user can't work out how to "run python" after installing.
Should be able to find it in the programs menu I guess but perhaps
it's not easy to find on newer Windows >= 8.
5) modify/repair/install - like this one. I don't know what the solution is.

Perhaps there should be a wiki page listing the common problems and
solutions so that people can be pointed to that instead of being told
to search the archives. I'm not sure how you'd go about creating one
of those and realistically it should be novice-friendly so it really
needs screenshots of how it looks under different Windows versions and
takes people right through to the point of say running a command in
IDLE. Not being a Windows user it's not easy for me to provide the
necessary level of detail for that.

Also as concerns problem 2) presumably the installer could detect this
and point users to the solution as it does for XP.

--
Oscar