made a simple rhythm sample mixer for fun (think Roland TR-909)

Irmen de Jong irmen.NOSPAM at xs4all.nl
Sat Feb 13 10:29:52 EST 2016

Hi,

For fun and to learn a bit from messing around a little with audio samples, I've created
a rhythm sample mixer inspired by the Roland TR-909 drum machine.

Basically you write rhythm sample patterns and it then sequences and mixes them into a
output wav file or streams it to your speakers. Songs are built up from pattern
sequences, where a pattern is built up from trigger bars for the used instruments.
The tool also has a simple command line interface to edit patterns and play samples etc.

As an example here is a fragment of one of the example songs;

[song]
patterns = pat1 pat2 pat3 pat2b pat3b outro

[pattern.pat2]
hihat2     = x...x... x...x...

You can find it here (also some examples): https://github.com/irmen/rhythmbox

Python 3.x is required, also needs pyaudio if you want streaming. Other than that, I've
found that the standard age-old audioop module may be limited, but is enough to build
some basic sample mixing stuff with.
I'm interested in what rhythm loops you can come up with!

have fun,
Irmen