confusing installation on windows? was: Re:

Irmen de Jong irmen.NOSPAM at xs4all.nl
Sat Feb 13 06:37:52 EST 2016

On 13-2-2016 2:43, Joel Goldstick wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 12, 2016 at 3:16 PM, Manas Soni <sonimanas695 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> I have downloaded python and when I click on it, it asks me to repair
>> which I do, it then says successful however when I click on it again it
>> won’t let me on it
>> Sent from Mail for Windows 10
>>
>> --
>>

> I don't do windows, so I can't give you an answer.  To the group, this has
> come up so consistantly lately.  Maybe a windows python user could explain
> why this is so confusing to newbies on windows?

I think it could be because of the confusing start menu in recent windows versions.
Perhaps they keep clicking the tile that shows the installer (as a 'recent document' or
'download'), rather than the new tile that would show the actual
Python/idle/documentation icon.  I can't check right now because here I have windows 7
(with a sane start menu) but will have a look at how it's presented when freshly
installing a new python on my machine at office next week (which has windows 8...)

Irmen