Suggested datatype for getting latest information from log files

ltomassmail at gmail.com ltomassmail at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 13:31:23 EST 2016

On Thursday, February 11, 2016 at 6:16:35 PM UTC, jmp wrote:
> On 02/11/2016 07:07 PM, ltomassmail at gmail.com wrote:
> > I thought a dictionary would be a good idea because of the key restrictions ensuring no duplicates, so the data would always update - However because they are unordered and I need to do some more processing on the data afterwards I'm having trouble.
>
> If it's your only concern about using dictionaries, then you may have a
> look  at
> https://docs.python.org/2/library/collections.html#collections.OrderedDict
>
> JM

I did look into this but struggling a little with the implementation, currently trying to do something like this which doesn't work:

    fillInfo = {}
    p = re.compile('PATTERN')
    with (open(path,'r')) as f:
        for row in f:
            m = p.search(row)
            if m == None:
                continue
            else:
                fillInfo[m.group(5)] = OrderedDict(m.group(1),m.group(2),m.group(3),m.group(4),m.group(6))