Handling transactions in Python DBI module

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 00:14:10 EST 2016

On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 4:06 PM, Frank Millman <frank at chagford.com> wrote:
> A connection has 2 possible states - 'in transaction', or 'not in
> transaction'. When you create the connection it starts off as 'not'.
>
> When you call cur.execute(), it checks to see what state it is in. If the
> state is 'not', it silently issues a 'BEGIN TRANSACTION' before executing
> your statement. This applies for SELECT as well as other statements.
>
> All subsequent statements form part of the transaction, until you issue
> either conn.commit() or conn.rollback(). This performs the required action,
> and resets the state to 'not'.
>
> I learned the hard way that it is important to use conn.commit() and not
> cur.execute('commit'). Both succeed in committing, but the second does not
> reset the state, therefore the next statement does not trigger a 'BEGIN',
> with possible unfortunate side-effects.

When I advise my students on basic databasing concepts, I recommend
this structure:

conn = psycopg2.connect(...)

with conn, conn.cursor() as cur:
    cur.execute(...)

The transaction block should always start at the 'with' block and end
when it exits. As long as you never nest them (including calling other
database-using functions from inside that block), it's easy to reason
about the database units of work - they always correspond perfectly to
the code blocks.

Personally, I'd much rather the structure were "with
conn.transaction() as cur:", because I've never been able to
adequately explain what a cursor is/does. It's also a bit weird that
"with conn:" doesn't close the connection at the end (just closes the
transaction within that connection). But I guess we don't need a
"Python DB API 3.0".

ChrisA