Cygwin and Python3

Benoit Izac use.reply.to at INVALID.ADDRESS
Wed Feb 10 16:26:25 EST 2016

Larry Hudson <orgnut at yahoo.com> writes:

>> Hi, I am having a hard time making my Cygwin run Python 3.5 (or
>> Python 2.7 for that matter).
>> The command will hang and nothing happens.
>
> Just curious...
>
> Since Python runs natively in Windows, why are you trying to run it
> with Cygwin? I'm not implying that you shouldn't, just offhand I don't
> see a reason for it.

I do it because it's easier to install third party packages, those that
need an external library to run. Cygwin come with a lot of lib* and
lib*-devel that permit to just run `pip install xxx' if not already
packaged. I gave a try on the native Windows version and Anaconda but
there is at least one package that I could not run (and I loosed
a lot of time to compile a bunch of libraries).

Example of package: pyproj (proj4), openpyxl with lxml (libxml2,
libxslt) and pillow (libjpeg, zlib, libtiff, ...), psycopg2 (libpq).

--
Benoit Izac