[newbie] how to create log files

jenswaelkens at gmail.com jenswaelkens at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 04:33:14 EST 2016

When I run my Python scripts from the command prompt in Linux, I can make visible all kinds of information I want to check by using print statements
e.g. print (top.winfo_width()), this is very useful when debugging.
However, the final version of my program won't be run from the command line, but by simply clicking on its icon on the desktop. I'd like to have
a log-file which gathers the output of all those print statements, so I still can check the same information I got before.
Can anyone here tell me how this is accomplished the best way?

thanks and kind regards,
Jens