Heap Implementation

srinivas devaki mr.eightnoteight at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 22:12:12 EST 2016

On Feb 8, 2016 5:17 PM, "Cem Karan" <cfkaran2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 7, 2016, at 10:15 PM, srinivas devaki <mr.eightnoteight at gmail.com>
wrote:
> > On Feb 8, 2016 7:07 AM, "Cem Karan" <cfkaran2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I know that there are methods of handling this from the client-side
(tuples with unique counters come to mind), but if your library can handle
it directly, then that could be useful to others as well.

> > yeah it is a good idea to do at client side.
> > but if it should be introduced as feature into the library, instead of
tuples, we should just piggyback a single counter it to the self._indexes
dict, or better make another self._counts dict which will be light and fast.
> > and if you think again with this method you can easily subclass with
just using self._counts dict  in your subclass. but still I think it is
good to introduce it as a feature in the library.

> > Regards
> > Srinivas Devaki
>
> I meant that the counter is a trick to separate different instances of
(item, priority) pairs when you're pushing in the same item multiple times,
but with different priorities.

oh okay, I'm way too off.

what you are asking for is a Priority Queue like feature.

but the emphasis is on providing extra features to heap data structure.

and xheap doesn't support having duplicate items.

and if you want to insert same items with distinct priorities, you can
provide the priority with key argument to the xheap. what xheap doesn't
support is having same keys/priorities.
So I got confused and proposed a method to have same keys.

Regards
Srinivas Devaki
Junior (3rd yr) student at Indian School of Mines,(IIT Dhanbad)
Computer Science and Engineering Department
ph: +91 9491 383 249
telegram_id: @eightnoteight