Python's import situation has driven me to the brink of imsanity

dimva13 at gmail.com dimva13 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 19:38:43 EST 2016

Running python setup.py develop doesn't work, it gives me this error: error: invalid command 'develop'

Running pip install -e . does work. This is somewhat reasonable, and I think may work for my purposes, but it has the following drawbacks:
- you have to create a fake package with a fake version, and all the setup.py boilerplate
- to get to your python files, you have to go through an additional subdirectory (ex: project_name/project_name/package.py)
- you have to remember to run pip install -e . before you can use anything inside the project
- you should be using a virtualenv (I am), otherwise things can get messy if you have these fake projects installed in a global location

All in all, this seems like a hack - I'm creating a fake package with a fake version just so I can do imports sanely. Still less of a hack than imsanity, though.

Thanks for the advice! I just wish it was better documented and easier to find. I have several years of professional python experience at 3 different companies, and I've never seen this solution anywhere - all the companies solved it by setting PYTHONPATH to the base directory. I'll try to spread the word.