Daemon strategy

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 23:22:23 EST 2016

On 02/06/2016 09:04 AM, paul.hermeneutic at gmail.com wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 4:10 PM, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
>> paul.hermeneutic at gmail.com writes:

>>> As you might imagine, I am not always able to specify which OS is
>>> deployed. That does not mean that I am not responsible for getting the
>>> work done. Perhaps you will tell me that what I want is not a daemon.
>>
>> I'm telling you none of those. What I'm telling you is MS Windows does
>> not support what is needed to make a Unix daemon.
>>
>> You may need to re-visit the requirements and negotiate something
>> different — a different deployment platform, or something which MS
>> Windows can do which is less than a proper Unix daemon.
>
> I fully understand that Windows is not a proper UNIX. It might be that
> UNIX is not in each and every aspect a proper Windows.
>
> If it is possible, I would like to create one tool to do this rather
> than multiple. Is there anything in Python that would help to
> accomplish this goal?

The fairly standard python-win32 package certainly allows you to make a
proper win32 service.  It's not part of the standard library, but you
could ship it with your package.

http://ryrobes.com/python/running-python-scripts-as-a-windows-service/

It's just not practical to have one tool that does such an OS-dependent
thing.  But it's not that hard to have specific code for Windows.