Daemon strategy

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Fri Feb 5 18:10:46 EST 2016

paul.hermeneutic at gmail.com writes:

> On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 11:52 AM, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> > Since MS Windows lacks those facilities, ‘python-daemon’ can't use
> > them.
>
> As you might imagine, I am not always able to specify which OS is
> deployed. That does not mean that I am not responsible for getting the
> work done. Perhaps you will tell me that what I want is not a daemon.

I'm telling you none of those. What I'm telling you is MS Windows does
not support what is needed to make a Unix daemon.

You may need to re-visit the requirements and negotiate something
different — a different deployment platform, or something which MS
Windows can do which is less than a proper Unix daemon.

> BTW, I thought that pip would know that python-daemon would not run on
> my machine, but it had no complaints installing it. That gave me
> unmerited hope.

Sorry to learn that. The PyPI metadata for ‘python-daemon’
<URL:https://pypi.python.org/pypi/python-daemon/> explicitly declares
the supported OS limited to “Operating System :: POSIX”, which MS
Windows is not compatible with.

If ‘pip’ does not honour that field and inform you of the
incompatibility, you may want to report a bug to the ‘pip’ developers.

--
 \       “My business is to teach my aspirations to conform themselves |
  `\              to fact, not to try and make facts harmonise with my |