_siftup and _siftdown implementation

srinivas devaki mr.eightnoteight at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 20:26:12 EST 2016

On Feb 5, 2016 5:45 AM, "Steven D'Aprano" <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Feb 2016 07:50 am, srinivas devaki wrote:
>
> > _siftdown function breaks out of the loop when the current pos has a
valid
> > parent.
> >
> > but _siftup function is not implemented in that fashion, if a valid
> > subheap is given to the _siftup, it will bring down the root of sub heap
> > and then again bring it up to its original place.

as I come to think of it again, it is not subheap, it actually heap cut at
some level hope you get the idea from the usage of _siftup. so even though
the `pos` children are valid the _siftup brings down the new element (i.e
the element which is at first at `pos`) upto its leaf level and then again
it is brought up by using _siftdown. why do the redundant work when it can
simply breakout?

> > I was wondering why it is so, is it just to make the code look simple???
>
> Hi Srinivas,
>
> I'm sure that your question is obvious to you, but it's not obvious to us.
> Where are _siftup and _siftdown defined? Are they in your code? Somebody
> else's code? A library? Which library? What do they do? Where are they
> from?

_siftup and _siftdown are functions from python standard heapq module.

PS: I do competitive programming, I use these modules every couple of days
when compared to other modules. so didn't give much thought when posting to
the mailing list. sorry for that.

Regards
Srinivas Devaki
Junior (3rd yr) student at Indian School of Mines,(IIT Dhanbad)
Computer Science and Engineering Department
ph: +91 9491 383 249
telegram_id: @eightnoteight