Efficient Wrappers for Instance Methods

Random832 random832 at fastmail.com
Thu Feb 4 13:35:32 EST 2016

On Thu, Feb 4, 2016, at 11:18, Sven R. Kunze wrote:
> On 04.02.2016 00:47, Random832 wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 3, 2016, at 16:43, Sven R. Kunze wrote:
> >> Actually a nice idea if there were no overhead of creating methods for
> >> all heap instances separately. I'll keep that in mind. :)
> > What about changing the class of the object to one which is inherited
> > from its original class and has the method you want? What about reaching
> > into the class and changing the method in the first place? Either may
> > not be appropriate, of course, depending on your use case.
>
> There is no base class.

I meant something like...

Class C:
    replace = heapreplace

Cs = {}

if not isinstance(x, C)
    T = type(x)
    cls = cache.get(T)
    if cls is None:
       cls = type('C_'+T.__name__, (C, T), {})
    x.__class__ = cls

(Of course, by dynamically reassigning __class__ and using the type
constructor, this checks two of the three "crazy type system voodoo"
boxes. I have no idea if it will work, or if I've made a mistake, or if
you'll be able to understand it in six months.)