learning and experimenting python.

mm0fmf none at invalid.com
Sat Dec 31 07:04:57 EST 2016

On 31/12/2016 09:58, Steve D'Aprano wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Dec 2016 07:30 pm, mm0fmf wrote:
>
>> On 30/12/2016 17:50, einstein1410 at gmail.com wrote:
>>> Hello everyone,
>>> I am the new comer and learner of python.
>>> I have a doubt
> [...]
>
>> "I have a doubt" is not the correct way to ask this kind of question in
>> English.
>
> But it is perfectly idiomatic Indian English, which is no less legitimate
> than American English, Australian English, South African English and of
> course the hundreds of dialects from the mother country, British English.
>
> In Irish and Australian English, we're just as likely to say "I'm wondering
> about..." rather than "I have a question".
>
> This is an international forum, and we should make allowances for variant
> forms of English and those whose grasp of the Queen's English is not
> perfect.

Hence the suggestion to use a less idiomatic expression. I see this from
my team of programmers in our Bangalore office regularly. Just about all
of them were surprised when it was pointed out. Given emails are sent
amongst that team and offices around the world, when they expect local
team memebers to reply they now use "doubt" and when they'd like a
global response they use "question". A brief skim of the mail lets you
see if it needs dealing with immediately.

I've always found Australian English to be very similar to English
English when written and only going "full down under" when spoken.
Whereas American English is basically fewer words spelt differently.
Though they do write road info upside down on the road surface,
typically XING with PED underneath. I had to ask what XINGPED meant till
my colleague driving said it was PEDXING, pedestrian crossing. Why write
it the wrong way though?

I'm not sure if this thread isn't a most excellent troll however. I see
it's almost 2017 where you are Steve... have a good one.