learning and experimenting python.

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 14:49:22 EST 2016

On 12/30/2016 12:08 PM, einstein1410 at gmail.com wrote:
> LAN you are right. I am agree with you that it's easy to recognise.
>
> But look
> $ for normal user
> # for special user/root
> % for other shell
> And so on...
> Why?
> Why their developer selected that?
> Is there any special reason?

Is there a special reason bourne shell uses $ and #?  Coming from an old
DOS background (>) I found that rather jarring at first.  There's no
particular reason for any of those shell prompts.  You say "%" is for
"other shell."  Which shells?  *Any* other shell?  These are all just
arbitrary.

Furthermore, Python is not a shell, so why would you expect an
interactive python prompt to look like bourne shell?  Wouldn't that just
be confusing?

$ python3
Python 3.4.3 (default, Aug  9 2016, 17:10:39)
[GCC 4.8.5 20150623 (Red Hat 4.8.5-4)] on linux
$

No thanks.  I think using > as a prompt character work very well. I
suppose Python could have made the prompt a bit more like ruby:

$ irb
irb(main):001:0>

But that's a bit busy.