Reading python list as a newsgroup (was ...)

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 10:11:54 EST 2016

On 2016-12-16, Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Dec 2016 13:34:32 -0500, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> declaimed the following:
>>
>>If you want to read python-list as a news group, you might try
>>news.gmane.org.  About once a year, it goes down for a few hours to a
>>day, but has otherwise been dependable.  I found it when my ISP dropped
>>newsgroup access around a decade ago.
>
> And I found it when the spam on comp.lang.python got overly
> annoying.

I didn't notice much spam on c.l.p (but then again, I filter out all
posts from google-groups).  The problem on c.l.p that caused me to
switch to gmane's NNTP server was the number of broken references.
They both have references that break in various scenarios, but my
tests indicated that it was worse on c.l.p.  [Yes, I actually wrote a
Python program that used an NNTP client library to check all the
reference values in a large sample of posts from both sources.]

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I wonder if I could
                                  at               ever get started in the